Thursday, May 30, 2013

What are vegetarians?

I teach English to online students from Korea. You know the deal they just want to practice their speaking skills or something in that line. Honestly I think they just need someone to talk with to lessen the stress of their Korean lifestyle.

Usually my teaching load is not heavy and hard since I handle Middle School and High school students. Their English is not that bad since they can convey their ideas quite well.

When I teach and I think the same goes with other teachers. It is often times impossible to give the dictionary meaning to the students of unfamiliar vocabulary. So I had to make things easier for the student. And you know that experience that even as a good speaker of English some dictionaries give meanings that are far harder to understand than the word itself.

Source: Evolve!
So I over heard a teacher say, "I don't want to be a vegetarian because I don't like to be a cow who just eats grass." He even changed the word cow the second time and used carabao instead. I bet his Korean student doesn't even know what a carabao is.

I know the teacher doesn't mean any harm or even insult to what vegetarianism really is. But I think it stems from a general ignorance of people and so much perceived bullshit the media and the Internet gives to what being a vegetarian really is. I also have to blame the general distaste of people to vegetarians to the people of PETA.

On the side note I want to scream that vegetarians are not that even. We also eat other things from plants like fruits. Also I feel that bad that animals like cows are denigrated below humans just because they only eat grass and plants. When did eating meat become better or the eating of plants alone? When did human become superior to animals? Or animals superior to humans? But I think animals are way better than humans. sorry dear humanist!

And yes there are times that we still need to stick to what the dictionary tells us:

Vegetarian: [vej-i-tair-ee-uhn]
noun
a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any foodderived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc.

No comments: