Friday, December 12, 2014

Vilamakirti Sutra Reading at the Mabuhay Temple

With bare feet I entered the Main Hall of the Mabuhay Temple located on the second floor. One can be impressed of the cleanliness and simple beauty of the Hall.












The activity was lead by the Buddha Light International Association, which also conducts studies on the Buddhists scriptures. Since the whole thing is going to be in Chinese. We were given radios to listen to the translation in English. Somehow I feel like a foreigner in my own country. Most of the people are speaking Chinese since I entered the Temple.


There was a small presentation of the poems of Venerable Master Hsing Yun. Sadly that was not translated in English.









The talk was about the Vilamakierti Sutra and how it should be understood. The sutra is quite long and may take time to be read since the text is not even simple. This is also the time that I envied the Chinese people listening and getting the ideas directly but nonetheless the interpreters they have are professionals and can really translate and use lots of Buddhists terms.







There was a little break after the lecture so I was able to sneak out and eat lunch. Then I came back for the panel discussion and sharing about the Vilamakirti Sutra. The discussion was simple and fun at atone point personal for all the guests.











I need to read the sutra on my own so I can relate more to what was discussed today.

No comments: